Tuesday 26 April 2016

Playing Hooky with the sticks... .


I've been so busy with the Lazy Hooker's CAL and with designing for Artesano (new summer shawl/wrap on my hook as we speak), that I have to admit that when I finally sit down in the evening,  I have taken to picking up the sticks instead of my hook. I know, I know, how could I?



I think it must be something to do with my age (shhhh),  but for the last year I have had this strange desire to knit socks. I have really tried to get what I want by crocheting socks like these, 

                                                          


I used a size 3 hook and 4-ply sock yarn and although they're great to wear...
                                                        

                                




... I still just craved all those gorgeous tiny-stitched-stripes which are only possible with knitting. I think I got quite close with my fingerless gloves using a version of Linen Stitch, 



 but it's just not quite the same...



 So, a lovely friend who both knits and hooks was brave enough to take me on and introduced me to the wonderful world of 5 pointed needles...



This was my very first foray with the sticks and at first I really struggled...



 I persevered as I could see those STRIPES forming ....and was soon falling in love...


Magic stripes and magic patterns...ooohhhh
                                         

It did all feel terribly fiddly to start off with and my hands were all over the place, fighting with all these pointy things. I dropped many, many,  stitches; many, many, times and realised just how patient knitters are...no quick frogging here that's for sure.




                                                        

This was my first pair, and although they are a bit big as I used DK instead of 4-ply, I LOVE them and finally realised my dream of stripey heaven! 

Trying on for size!

Feeling rather flushed with success,  I moved on to Sock Yarn and had another go...turning the heel is the hardest bit, but with lots of help and a fair bit of sweat, I eventually cracked it.

This pattern is from Craftsy and well worth buying as it's very straightforward to follow.

This is Opal sock yarn,,isn't it delish??
                     



I can't even begin to describe how ridiculously proud of these I am..I certainly can't wear them as I like looking at them so much and refuse to hide them in boots!




I've now moved on to  knitting gloves which I can stroke and love (and show off) every day and am equally addicted.. more to come...




No comments:

Post a Comment